Google Search

Google

Friday, May 11, 2007

5 Weeks to go

Until the big day, and i wasn't feeling nervous until this evening. When she who must be obeyed arrived home, it was immediately clear that her meeting with the midwife this morning had gone fairly well. The birth plan was discussed and decisions made, decisions which apparently i had no right to question or debate. Though that's not really an issue, I'm happy to do whatever makes her most comfortable at the time considering what it is she's going through for us.
So, my evening dragged on as i endured first ER and then CSI: Miami (there's something about the Miami series that i just can't abide). Though still being awake at 11 did have a plus side, as i was able to catch part of an episode of Boston Legal, which is something I've never seen before but I'll probably make an effort to at least record some of them in future.
I also was forced to check up on paternity leave procedures in my workplace and realised that i had successfully failed to notify my employer in sufficient time to actually entitle me to take my paternity leave entitlement from the newborns date of birth. (Though i am hopeful we can work around this oversight as i was never directed to this until too late!) I seems to me incredibly unfair that a father is only entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave. A fathers role isn't something insignificant. It's no longer the case that all women stay at home and/or that all menfolk earn more than their female counterparts. Women's lib and equality for all has ridden that pony right into the ground. So why is it that the father is still only entitled to two weeks paid leave (and the rate of pay is purely employer dependant!) Those of us who work earn the same money as the women who have children, we work the same hours (in many cases) we do the same job, and yet we are not entitled to 6 or 9 months off work (paid). We aren't even entitled to a month off with our newborns. No, we must console ourselves with the knowledge that we are merely second class citizens, we cannot give birth to the child nor can we take a decent amount of time off to bond with the child.
It seems to me that it's about time fathers were given the right to at least two months paid leave with their newborns, I'd argue for 6-9 months, but i think we all know there's no way on earth the government would ever push that bill through the commons.
I look at my own situation, being that I'm desperately looking forwards to the next chapter of my life with my wife and newborn (oh and the dog!) and yet somehow i feel completely belittled by society for wanting to spend some time to bond, and simply adapt to family life as a father before being forced to return to work for the rest of my living days in-order to support this new family unit. I work for a living, i have never been in the position of relying on the state to pay my way in life, though i can't help but feel that if i did i would at least be allowed the time i desperately crave with my family. Despite the fact it would be at the expense of the general public.
I think I'll leave this moan now, i could continue but it's pointless, this site isn't read by anyone and even if it was my grumbles wont get me anywhere, nor am i sure what I'm saying is actually articulate.
For those of you living in one of those wonderful European countries that do allow fathers more paternity leave than the UK, spare a thought for us Brits.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger